Tuesday, March 25, 2008

9-1-1

Yesterday started out very productive, trying to settle into our new establishment and find a place for all our junk! I laid Ryan down for his nap around 10am and was putting around and getting ready for the day. A little after noon time I heard him wake up and cry but my hair was wet from the shower and I wanted to blow dry it before getting him up and he usually likes the sound of the hairdryer so I took a few more minutes to do that. When I went in to get him I grabbed his arms to help him sit up and I noticed he wasn't making any effort to sit so I just picked him up and put him on my hip. He was kind of like a limp noodle and continued to cry so I didn't really think anything of it just yet, I thought he was just super hungry and throwing a fit so we went in the kitchen to get some barley cereal going for him. I was paying more attention to him now and how his body was moving. I noticed his whole right side was barely moving, panic set in and I rushed to find his Neurosurgeon's number. A minute later I was dialing the number and I let it ring a couple times and then (ding) I'm thinking what the heck are you doing, Lisa, call 911, he needs help immediately! I don't know what's happened to him and if it's something that's time-sensitive.
Never before have I had to call 911. It took 3 or 4 rings and I'm thinking, why the crap are you not answering after ONE ring! I did stay calm and was able to explain what I had observed so far. I gave all the information they asked for and a few minutes later I hear the blare of sirens. A little embarrassed that they were coming for us, I opened the door and paced till a fire engine and ambulance got there (Ryan in my arms, who was happy by this point but body still not working). I had about 6 emergency prepared men plus Ashten and Chaney (trying to comfort him and understand what was happening to their little buddy) in the front room asking questions and one who worked with Ryan.
They were ready to transport him to the hospital so I called my friend a couple blocks over and she was there to pick up the kids, it seemed like, as soon as I hung up the phone! Julie, you are wonderful, thanks so much! They strapped me in to the gurney and I put Ryan in my lap. We were off to Legacy Emanuel (no lights or sirens, he was stable). It was quite a peaceful ride, actually, Ryan was very calm.
Once there they got a CT scan ordered to make sure the shunt was functioning properly and cross that off as a possible reason for his condition. He was slowly improving by this time. That test turned out fine. Well, to sum up the rest of the visit, they narrowed it down to a seizure. Now, I know nothing of them but I will soon.
We are back at home and Ryan is back to his happy, all functioning self! We are waiting to get in to see a Neurologist now and find out what is happening in that adorable little head of his. We are holding our breath that it doesn't happen again. I really can't believe that happened yesterday. Who'da thunk. He is well and has proved many doctors wrong in his abilities and strength. Neiner, neiner! What a blessing he is and I thank Heavenly Father for him daily.

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh, Lisa. How scary! I hope things go well at the doctor. We'll keep you guys in our prayers. Hope you're settling into your new place.

Anonymous said...

Lisa.. I bet that was scary! I wish I was there to help. Could it have had anything to do with he flight?

Emily

RNandKT said...

I am so sorry you had such an ordeal. What a miracle your Ryan is! K so where the heck did you move to?!? And what flight?

Elizabeth Dimit said...

That poor baby (and poor mommy!) I'm so glad that he's doing better. I will keep him in our prayers.

mahina said...

wow! how scary for you! you seem so calm and collected about the whole thing! i would have been a wreck!

i am sad that you guys moved out of the ward!

hope everything turns out fine! he is a miracle baby!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so sorry! Glad to hear he is doing better now. What a scare that must have been.

Tonya said...

So scary! Those little peoples in our lives sure can freak us out sometimes! I hope all the best for your little Ryan. Where did you move to???

Heidi said...

I'm always amazed at how you look at your situation and then just make the very best of it. Ryan is a lucky kid to have such a great mom.

Brenda told me you guys were moving-where are you living now?

Chelle said...

I'm sorry to hear about the scare, this was a bit ago, have you heard anything new?

Please keep us posted.

Darilyn said...

This is heart wrenching to read. I'm so glad I got to see you today. You've been missed girl.

Heidi said...

I need another update from you. Where did you guys end up and how's that cute family of yours? Time for another post!